8 Days – Mt Kilimanjaro – Machame Route – Group
- Trip CodeETSKM6
- Trip StyleBasic
- Group SizeMax 10
- Physical Rating4
- IncludesAccommodationTransportMealsPark FeeActivitiesTrip Crew
- ExcludesDrinksOwn RoomVisaFlights
Approaching legendary Kilimanjaro from the south-west, we take the popular Machame Route, over eight days, thus giving us good acclimatization time and every chance of reaching the summit. Lush rainforest and Alpine moorland characterise the landscape on this trek, which is challenging, make no mistake, despite the extra day. You’ll share your transport to and from Kilimanjaro with fellow adventurers. Accommodation on the mountain on this ‘Basic’ category trip will be in tented camps – a true mountain adventure.
Kilimanjaro is the African continent’s best-known and highest mountain. With its snow-capped peak, it justifiably features on nearly every adventurer’s list of ‘must-dos.’
If you’ re not in a tearing hurry, why not consider the Machame route, which takes one day longer than the more popular Marangu but is slightly more challenging. Accommodation on the ascent is in tents, adding to the sense of adventure. Extra time taken acclimatizing means a higher success rate!
The Machame is actually the second most popular route for mount Kilimanjaro climb. From the village at Machame (altitude: 1490 metres), the approach is from the south-west of the summit. Led by an expert guide and a team of porters and cooks, you at once enter into lush rainforest, as heavy rains frequently visit this side of the mountain.
It can be a muddy and slippery experience! Alpine moorland is another characteristic landscape in the early stages of this ascent. During the ascent, an optional scramble up the imperious Lava Tower is an option – for those with energy to spare.
With our experienced, knowledgeable and, above all, passionate staff, we take care of all the complex and important arrangements for the ascent of this legendary mountain, essential to giving you the best Kilimanjaro experience. Happy climbing, indeed!
- – Reaching the summit! Experiencing that incomparable, ‘roof of the world’ feeling
- – A more relaxed pace than the popular Marangu route. But challenging!
- – Stunning views as you ascend
- – Discover Shira Plateau and Barranco
- – Climbing the Lava Tower
- – Dedicated guides, porters and cooks – a great team to help you on your way
To view the full Trip Notes… Click here
Day 1: KILIMANJARO INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT - ARUSHA
Day 2: ARUSHA - MACHAME GATE - MACHAME CAMP
Day 3: MACHAME CAMP - SHIRA CAVE
Day 4: SHIRA CAVE - BARRANCO CAMP
Day 5: BARRANCO CAMP - BARAFU CAMP
Today we breakfast again at 07.00, in anticipation a long day. We have a total of 9 km to cover and we will ascend some 660 metres, with a total of 6.5 to 7 hours walking time. Our departure time today will be 08.00; a hot lunch is scheduled at Karanga for midday and we hope to arrive at Barafu by 16.00 for dinner at 18.00. At the beginning, we have a tough scramble up the near-vertical face of the Barranco Wall (also known as the 'Breakfast Wall' as the climb is straight after your breakfast!). At the top, you enjoy views of the Heim Glacier. We then descend to the gully below, and into the cold, beautiful Karanga Valley before continuing and climbing up a steep series of zig-zags until we reach Karanga for lunch. After leaving Karanga, today's stage continues steadily upwards, passing through barren, rocky landscape, with the Decken and Kersten glaciers visible away to your left. At the top of the climb, the landscape remains bleak as you descend into a valley and you get your first sight of another glacier, Rebmann. At the end of this valley is today's goal, the Barafu Camp, at which you arrive after a short, steep scramble and a walk.
Day 6: BARAFU CAMP - UHURU (SUMMIT) - MWEKA CAMP
Day 7: MWEKA CAMP - MWEKA GATE - ARUSHA
Day 8: DEPARTURE - KILIMANJARO INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT
After a good night's rest at your lodge, you will take breakfast ready for the scheduled check-out by 10.00. (If you wish to remain in the hotel during the day, please advise us of this when you book your trip and we will inform you of the cost for day room which ends at 18:00hrs, and then make the booking on your behalf.) If you have booked a transfer to the airport, you will be collected from your hotel and dropped off at the airport. For those travellers who have booked to go on safari, our Easy Travel guide will be meeting you in the evening to provide you with a briefing.
Trip Includes:AccommodationTwo nights in Arusha, Five nights on the Mountain
- * First night: Karama Lodge
- * Second night: Machame Camp
- * Third night: Shira 2 Camp
- * Four night: Barranco Camp
- * Five night: Barafu Camp
- * Six night: Mweka Camp
- * Seven night: Karama Lodge
- Coaster Bus
- 7 Breakfast, 6 Lunch & 5 Dinner
- Treated Drinking Water
- Park Fee
- Camp Fee
- * Easy Travel mountain guide
- * Easy Travel mountain chef
- * Easy Travel mountain porters
- * Sleeping Tents
- * Dinning Tents
- * Sleeping mattress
- * Utensils
- * Tables and chairs
- Certificate of Achievement if you reach Gilman's point(5681M), Stella point(5685M) or Uhuru point(5895M).
- International Flights and Insurance
- $100 per person for US Nationals and $50 per person for other Country Nationals (read trip notes for more details)
- My Own Room ($190 per person)
- All type of soft and hard drinks
- * Laundry
- * Toiletries
- Gratitude for your trip crew (read trip notes for more details)